Translator

Thursday, September 6, 2007

They're reducing the price of I-Phones, and it still doesn't matter

I was hanging out at Consumerismcommentary.com today and they are talking about the new I-Phone price. Apple dropped the price of the I-Phone by $200. Currently it stands at $399.00. And yes, I still want one!

But in reading the comments in Consumerism Commentary, I realized that the only reason I entertained the thought of buying an I-Phone in the first place is because I have AT&T as my service provider already. Not only that, but I've had my contract longer than 3 years, so I have no fees for changing my provider if I so wished. So really, I'm free.

Other people that are on other providers would have to switch (pay a fee to their current provider and then switch over to possibly higher fees and a "slave contract" with AT&T). Double punch in the ole wallet, yuck.

That's when I realized that poor Apple has dug itself into a hole, simply because it's not the price of the I-Phone necessarily (although $600 was steep for a phone) that was the problem. The problem is that Apple didn't realize something: Freedom and choice is always more valuable than gold.

I mean, isn't that why I'm ultimately taking on this millionaire challenge? Ultimately, I don't really want a million dollars for the sake of owning a million one dollar bills -- I want the freedom and choice that a million dollars (or more) can give me, right?

Poor Apple, I think they went about it the wrong way. The I-Phone would have been a SMASH HIT (even at $599) if they would have just known that having a choice of carriers would have been the cherry on top of the Sundae.

I-Phone

All the bells and whistles and the freedom to boot.

Yeah, that could have been their motto. Damn, I should have ventured into Marketing. I'm wasted here!

2 comments:

  1. This is a good post. I never realized that they were being offered by only 1 cell company. I love apple but that is still a very expensive phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost interest with the iPhone long ago. I'm still using a Nokia 3320 (or something like that). Guess I'm just not interested in Phones.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! Really, I am interested.