Translator

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Don’t Blame the Scammers

Tele-Classic Article

Why are they trying to scam moms?
Someone asked this question on a message board for work-at-home mothers. The immediate reply that popped into my head is, “they're not trying to scam moms, they are trying to scam desperate people.


Let me illustrate my comment so that it’s a little more clear to you. Imagine you are on a small fishing boat that somehow tipped over. You’re floating in the ocean clinching a flotation devise. There are a couple of people holding on also, but unbeknownst to you, one of the people in your group is bleeding.

As anyone who is aware of the movie Jaws or watches shark documentaries on the lDiscovery Channel would tell you, blood in ocean water is a really, really, really bad thing. Because, you guessed it, sharks are going to smell it and true to their nature -- attack. We can’t really blame the shark; he’s just reacting in the way nature made him. So how do we deal with this situation? Well, most of us know not to bleed in the ocean.
Desperation, your desperation, to find a quick telecommuting job is like bleeding in the open seas. Every scammer in a fifty-mile radius is going to smell it and circle around you, ready for a feeding frenzy session.

So how do you prevent the sharks from smelling you? Stop the desperation! How do you do that?

First of all, do not leave messages on bulletin boards or discussion groups with “desperate” words such as: “I need a job quickly.” “I’m almost out of money.” “Is there any jobs out there that I can apply for now?” “I’m running out of time.” “I’ll do anything to make money.” “I’ve already been scammed two times.”

To illustrate my warnings, I invite you to leave messages with these statements on any appropriate bulletin board or message board and watch your e-mail box fill up with offers and telecommuting opportunities that require some type of fee or payment to get started. When you use ‘desperate words," you have just jumped into the ocean with an open wound.
Second, use logic. Ask yourself, if the person contacting you about a telecommuting opportunity is acting like a regular employer. An example of this logic would be when you get an opportunity to work but the "would-be" employer requires a fee to get started. Ask yourself, "If I was applying for a similar conventional job (one with a regular commute) would I give that employer money?"

Third, find patience. Sharks (uh, excuse me, scammers) love people wanting to get a telecommuting job now . . . today, or they will not be able to save their house, meet the bills, feed their kids, etc.

I ask another question. How long does it take to get a "conventional" job? I don't know about all of you, but it would sometimes take me weeks or months and dozens of resumes before I received an interview for a regular “commuter” job.
Well, I'm here to give you some bad news, it takes three times as long to find a good, legitimate telecommuting job. So, being impatient in your job search will just create desperation. Thinking that you can find legitimate work overnight, opens another bleeding wound.

So, how do you stop the bleeding?
  1. Don’t let anyone know how desperate you are. Stay away from writing or saying desperate statements.
  2. Use logic. Assess any telecommuting offer.
  3. Have patience. Nothing of worth happens quickly.
Remember that the scammers can smell desperation like sharks smell blood in the ocean. Don't blame the sharks, it's their nature. Be smart and use the three simple tips above to stop the bleeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Really, I am interested.